We had another fun walk this past Saturday with lots of new walkers and great conversation at Winans. It is great to see so many people on Saturday mornings working toward a healthy common goal. Or should I say, “walking toward a healthy goal”? Ha! I kill me!
Here’s what you will find in the newsletter this week:
- Welcome New GVWC Members!
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It! Christie Angel, CEO YWCA
- Improving Mental Health – Lifting Weights
- Improving Mental Health – Part Deux
- AAMWI 5K Walk GVWC Passion Team Sign-up
- GVWC Members – Footprints and Footnotes
Here a few pictures from this week’s walk along the North Bank Park route:
Welcome New GVWC Members!
Welcome to the following folks who joined the GVWC over the few weeks: Debbie Jaeger, Alex and Julie Kemper, Amy Goldstein, Marc Sigal, Lu Zipfel, and Debbie and Greg Schumacher. We are excited that you all have become members of the GVWC family. Y’all contribute to making this the coolest place to be on Saturday mornings. Welcome!
Extra, Extra. Read All About It!
Congratulations to the GVWC’s very own Christie Angel, CEO of the YWCA, for her featured story this month in Columbus CEO Magazine. Christie talks about her dream job, and about the YWCA’s mission of eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. Below is literally a snap shot of the article, but you can pick up a copy on newsstands (or wait to get the electronic version in about a month). Congratulations, Christie!
As you recall, the GVWC was featured in this month’s Columbus Monthly with the cover story about Walking and Hiking in Central Ohio. Well, you can now find the electronic version here.
Improving Mental Health – Lifting Weights
The GVWC newsletter has focused on mental health issues this year, including ways to improve mental health, to be more mindful, and to reduce stress. Here is an article from the mgbmovement blog calling out a study which shows that strength training has positive anti-depressant effects. Interestingly, results were not correlated to age, gender, amount of exercise or weight. Bottom line: all that matters is showing up and giving it your best.
Improving Mental Health – Part Deux
Along similar lines, research shows that laughter has far ranging health benefits, including stress relief, improving the immune system, and helping us connect better socially. This article from the VeryWellMind blog lists the benefits associated with laugher. As they say, laughter is the best medicine. Thanks, Jim McVay, for the contribution!
AAMWI Passion Team – Time to Sign Up
As you know, the African American Male Wellness Walk is August 11. We are helping to train people for the 5K event, and to help them establish the healthy habit of regular exercise. Like we did last year, the GVWC will have a passion team, and the 5K will replace our regular Saturday morning walk on that day. Since this is an “official” walk, we need to register our participants. Please use this sign up link. Our goal is at least 30 people to represent the GVWC for this important cause. Sign up … and bring family members and friends, as well.
GVWC Members – Footprints and Footnotes
- Congratulations to GVWC member Laura Modisette who has become a 50 Stater, meaning she has completed a half or full marathon in all 50 states! Laura completed this feat with the Kona, Hawaii Half Marathon this past weekend. Laura said there were strong headwinds and more hills than she anticipated. But she still finished second in her age group! Congratulations, Laura, on an amazing accomplishment!
- Thanks to all the GVWC volunteers for this year’s GV Haus und Garten Tour. We staffed the house located at 71 Desher Avenue, just off the southwest corner of Schiller Park. Thank you Phyllis Duryee, Haus Captain and Organizer, as well as Karen Edwards, Deb Hudson, Jim McVay, Johnie and Cindy Myers, Frank Stoy, Maureen Redovan, Cheryl Hacker, Jeff Ferriell, and Andrea Applegate.
- Best wishes to Terri Ghitman for a speedy recovery from a broken arm last week. Terri had surgery, and is feeling much better. Sorry you couldn’t join us for the Tour. Watch out for your husband’s big feet next time you guys are on a walk.
Route of the Week
This week’s route can be found here.
Motivation of the Week
I hope to catch you all this Saturday. Until then, whatever you do, finish strong!