Damp and drizzly didn’t stop the 16 hardy GVWC walkers this past Saturday from enjoying what turned out to be a nice brisk autumn morning with just a bit of spit in the air. As a reminder, we plan to walk every Saturday morning, even as the weather becomes a little harsher. Because safety is our number one concern, we officially cancel the walk under any of the following conditions: lightning; steady, heavy rain; ice/slippery pavement, and extreme cold. As always, use your own judgement for your own comfort but we’re firm believers in the old saw, “There’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad dressing.” Hats, gloves, wind resistant jackets, and layers are essential.
This week is the first Saturday of the month, which means the Winans to Winans route. We end at the downtown Winans, about 1 mile from Schiller Park.
Here’s what you will find in the newsletter this week:
- Fatal Crashes with Pedestrians Increase in the Fall
- Weight Training – No Expiration Date
- The Flu Is Not For You
- Save the Date – December 16 – GVWC Holiday Party
- Special Edition T-shirts Still for Sale
- GVWC Members and Partners – Footprints and Footnotes
Fatal Crashes with Pedestrians Increase in the Fall
In case you missed the October 25 article in the Columbus Dispatch, fatal crashes involving Ohio pedestrians increase in the fall, which means you need to be extra careful when you’re out walking in the days ahead. According to statistics from both the Columbus Division of Police and the Ohio Department of Transportation, the two most common times for pedestrians to die in traffic accidents are in the evening and in November. Indeed, the majority of pedestrian traffic deaths happen at night and, in 2017, November accounted for 18% of the fatalities for the entire year. Most of the people killed in traffic accidents were “regular” pedestrians (i.e., not walking for fitness). Nonetheless, follow these best practices to stay safe walking after dark near traffic:
- Wear reflective clothing — and make sure your outermost layer has some reflective material
- Wear or carry a light, especially if your outer layer is not reflective
- Use the sidewalks
- Walk on the left side of the road (facing oncoming traffic) if you must be in the road
- Don’t cross in the middle of the street or–if in a crosswalk–don’t cross against the traffic light
- Pay attention to your surrounding
- Don’t cross a side street, even when there’s a stop sign, unless you know the driver sees you
- Always, always, always assume the driver does not see you!
When you’re driving, be on the lookout for pedestrians. And put your phone down. There is no safe time to read or send texts. Even when stopped at a traffic light.
Weight Training – No Expiration Date
Check out this terrific article from Forbes “Do You Even Lift, Grandma? Why Older Adults Should Be Making Gains. It’s More Than Just Bro Science”. It explains why strength training, is “absolutely critical” for people as they age. The bonus: you can get all the benefits without all the tattoos.
The Flu Is Not For You
Have you gotten your flu shot yet? If you haven’t, you should. And you’ll want to check out these quick 7 Mistakes People Make With the Flu. As the article’s introduction states, “Unfortunately, there’s no surefire way to avoid exposure to influenza during flu season. But, you can dramatically decrease your odds of infection and lingering illness by avoiding these seven common flu mistakes.”
In case you’re still not convinced, check out this story, Last Year, The Flu Put Him In A Coma. This Year He’s Getting The Shot, which aired last week on NPR’s Morning Edition. Scary stuff!
Oh, and when you’re sick (whether the flu or otherwise, but especially with the flu), stay home. Your colleagues will thank you!
Save the Date – December 16 – GVWC Holiday Party
Save the date and time (Sunday, December 16, 2018, 3pm to 5pm) for GVWC’s Holiday Party. This year, we’ll be at Local Matters, “Partnering for Healthy Communities,” located at the corner of Parsons and Livingston Avenue. There will be a healthy holiday cooking demonstration, as well as socializing and raffles. Afterwards, an optional dinner will be held at nearby restaurant. Look for more information in the coming weeks. I look forward to sharing the GVWC year-end party with you all. And I can’t wait to show off this year’s holiday outfit!
Special Edition T-shirts Still for Sale
Our special edition GVWC t-shirts are for sale for $40 at Columbus Running Company in the Short North store and at the CRC on-line store. The shirts have scenes from our Saturday morning walks in a cool abstract format. Men’s shirts are crew neck and women’s are V-neck. They are spiffy enough for casual wear and, because of technical fabric, they are good for exercise, too. All the profits go to the Club for programming.
GVWC Members and Partners – Footprints and Footnotes
- Congratulations to GVWC member, Otto Beatty, III and his father, Otto Beatty, Jr., as they are the co-chairmen for the 2019 African American Male Wellness Initiative Walk. John Gregory, Founder of the AAMWWI, stated: “We are excited to have a father and his son lead our campaign to raise financial support and awareness of preventable diseases for African Americans men.”
- How fun! The Donut Run (and Walk) was held on Sunday and here’s one pic of the group after the race and another later at Tommy’s for breakfast.
Route of the Week
This week’s route can be found here.
Motivation of the Week
I hope to catch you all this Saturday. Until then, whatever you do, finish strong!