It’s staying lighter later, which means we’re on the upswing to spring. I don’t know about you, but it kind of makes me giddy to think about. Meantime, stay inspired. Get outside when you can, divert to indoor workouts when the weather doesn’t cooperate and, as always, join the GVWC on Saturday mornings.
Stuff in the newsletter this week:
- New Year, New(er) GVWC – Off to a Fast 2018 – 10 New Things
- Congratulations to our Olympic Racewalking Buddies (speaking of fast starts)
- You Only Have One Body and One Mind
- The Bad Rap on White Rice
- 5 Habits for More Happiness
- Schiller Park “Loop Leaders” Needed
- Week 3 – Ohio Health Cap City Half Marathon Training – LSD is 7 Miles
New Year, New(er) GVWC – Off to a Fast 2018
2018 is going to be a great year for the GVWC. Many new things are on tap this year, some of which you have seen or read about already. Here’s a quick summary:
- GVWC Steering Committee created to solicit ideas from members and generate excitement in the Club. The meetings are generally held every other month, and the next meeting March 24. Everyone is welcome. We need your help!
- New tag line for the Club: Get Fit. Gain Friends.
- New shoe and apparel partner: Keeping with our urban focus, we strive to partner with and promote businesses in the urban core. We are excited to announce our latest partnership: Columbus Running Company. Our two organizations, CRC and GVWC, are bandying about a number of interesting and innovative ideas, such as offering GVWC gear for sale to the general public in their Short North store. Meantime, every GVWC paid member will receive a $15 gift card to CRC. (If you’re not a member yet—or haven’t renewed—now’s the time so you can take advantage of this great benefit!)
- New partnership with Intelligent Office and Intelligent Assistant – a virtual office and virtual assistant business which provides live phone answering, hourly offices, address and mail services, and other administrative assistance to small businesses, non-profits and law firms, owned by GVWC member, Otto Beatty. Welcome and thank you for all your support, Otto!
- GVWC is the official training partner for the African American Male Wellness Walk Initiative 5K Walk on August 11. Let’s get started!!
- Created a promotional video encouraging participants in the AAMWWI 5K to take advantage of training with the GVWC. (Thanks, Mrs. WalksFast, for your effort.)
- GVWC joined the German Village Society Business Community. We currently appear on the German Village Society’s weekly calendar and will soon be linked to the German Village Society website.
- Walking Clinic to be put on by USA Olympic racewalkers on December 1. More details later this spring about the Clinic and the two Olympians to lead the clinic. Exciting stuff!
- Website refresh. Check out the refreshed GVWC website with more pictures of GVWC members.
- GVWC training team for the Ohio Health Cap City Half and Quarter Marathons.
Thanks to everyone for making the GVWC, by far, the best walking club in the country!
Congratulations to our Olympic Racewalking Buddies!
This past weekend, the USA Track and Field National Indoor Championship was held in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Congratulations to our racewalking friends who competed in the 3000m racewalk competition. Two-time Olympian Maria Michta-Coffey placed first with a time of 13:00.53 and Olympian Miranda Melville placed second (13:33.19). Olympic hopeful John Cody Risch placed fourth in the men’s 3000m (12:44.70). These athletes are moving! (somewhere around a 7 minute per mile pace)!
You Only Have One Body and One Mind
Have you seen this advertisement for 23andMe? While I’m not endorsing this product or company, I really like the message: We have only one body and one mind, so we better treat them with care. After all, they must last us a lifetime. Amen!
The Bad Rap on White Rice
No one should eat white rice anymore, correct? Given a choice of white or brown rice at a restaurant, don’t you feel a little bit bad when you select white? Maybe white rice is not all that bad. In fact, this article from the VeryWellHealthEating blog suggests white rice may be better for athletes in training. Let us not be so fast to judge.
5 Habits to Develop for More Happiness
This article from the VeryWellMind blog offers 5 tips to become a happier person. Hanging with the GVWC is a great way to achieve habit #2: surrounding yourself with positive people.
Schiller Park “Loop Leaders” Needed
Every spring and summer, we enjoy an increase in the number of people who walk with us. This year, we anticipate even more walkers. That’s because (we hope!) people will take advantage of the opportunity to train with the GVWC to prepare for the AAMWWI 5K in August. Many of these folks will start out with laps around Schiller Park. To accommodate them, we need “loop leaders,” who will be responsible for welcoming newcomers and walking with them around the park. Two loop leaders each week will probably suffice and six GVWC members have already committed to rotate Saturday mornings. Many thanks to Nancy S., Phyllis, Deb, Frank, Christie, and Larry for stepping up. We could use 4 to 6 more volunteers, which will lighten the load for everyone. Loop leaders are definitely Walking the Talk: they are ambassadors both for walking for fitness and for the GVWC. If you can commit to one or two Saturdays over the spring/summer, email me.
Week 3 – Ohio Health Cap City Half Marathon Training – LSD is 7 Miles
It’s Week 3 of the Ohio Health Cap City Half Marathon training! The focus of any distance training schedule is the long slow day (LSD). For full and half marathons, it’s all about getting accustomed to time on your feet—to building endurance. During Week 3, we move the LSD to 7 miles. Remember to build your other training days—easy, tempo, cross training, and OFF—during the rest of the week. Find links to the half and quarter marathon training schedules on the GVWC website.
There’s still time to join our Ohio Health Cap City team to walk in the half, quarter or 5K race. Walkers associated with the GVWC receive a $10 discount upon registering here. (Be sure to email me for the code prior to registering.) GVWC’s half marathon team includes: Jim McVay, Stephanie Ladson-Wofford, Nancy Traub, Brooke Albrecht, Deb Hudson, Chris Coenen, Karin Beaulieu, Sandra Bordley, Vicky Brunetto, Karen Meggyesy-Latimore , Tim Latimore, Linda Romanoff, and Larry Smith. You know the old saying, “The more the merrier.” Or is it, “Misery loves company”? Either way, we hope you’ll join us in conquering 13.1 in April!
Route of the Week
This week’s route can be found here.
Motivation of the Week
I hope to catch you all this Saturday. Until then, whatever you do, finish strong!