What a great walk this past Saturday with the African American Male Wellness Initiative! About 70 folks walked with us followed by “social hour” at Winans Chocolates and Coffee. It’s such fun to see the collaboration between two like-minded organizations as we promote health and wellness in our community. Thanks for everyone’s support. This is good and important stuff.
Here’s what you will find in the newsletter this week:
- Successful Spring To Your Feet Series
- 20 Secrets to a Happier Life
- Can You Outrun a Bad Diet
- GVWC Members – Footprints and Footnotes
Successful Spring to Your Feet Series
Last week we held our final Spring to Your Feet walk with the African American Male Wellness Initiative, featuring Dr. Shari Hicks-Graham, dermatologist, Downtown Dermatology, as our guest speaker. It was another great outing as we collaborate in creating healthy habits in our community. Thanks to Dr. Hicks-Graham for reinforcing the need for regular exercise and emphasizing the importance for protecting our skin from the harmful rays of the sun. Thanks to our partners for supporting this event: Columbus Running Company for the raffle prizes, Winans for the sample chocolates and raffle prizes, and to the AAMWI for treating all the walkers to complimentary coffee drinks. The next time we all get together will be on August 11 for the AAMWI Walk. The GVWC’s Passion Team is ready to roll.
We look forward to continuing our partnership with the AAMWI in the coming years. Congratulations on your 15 years of raising awareness of the health issues facing African American men in our community. You do important work!
20 Secrets to a Happier Life
rat race. noun informal. “a way of life in which people are caught up in fiercely competitive struggle for power.” Sometimes we get caught up chasing things—chasing the wrong things, it turns out—thinking they will bring us certain happiness. If I only earned this much. If I only lived in that house. If I only had those pair of shoes, I’d be happy. (Well, Andrea tells me the shoes always bring happiness.) We chase things—chase happiness—hoping that, once we own something or achieve something or attain something, we will really be happy. I have lived long enough to understand that life doesn’t work that way. And the sooner we relieve ourselves of the pressure to chase this false happiness, the better off we’ll be. Entrepreneur magazine has 20 recommendations for living a happier life. You won’t find anything on the list about gaining material things, making boatloads of money, or keeping up with the neighbors. You will find notions about collecting experiences, strengthening personal relationships, expressing gratitude, and surrounding yourself with positive, happy people. Thanks to Andrea Applegate for contributing the article—and for being one of the main reasons I am able to be a truly happy person.
Can You Outrun a Bad Diet?
Most studies show that you CANNOT outrun (or out walk) a bad diet … especially as we age. Even if we are at our optimum weight and we exercise diligently, there is evidence that a bad diet will still do damage to your body. This article from Runners World Magazine explains why.
GVWC Members and Partners – Footprints and Footnotes
- Chuck Marshall represents the GVWC in Grand Teton National Park as he travels out west to paint the breathtaking scenery. He always makes time for a little fishing. And walking, of course.
- July (ish) birthday celebration at Delaney’s Westerville. Happy birthday Mo, Jim and Linda! Thanks, Brian Zuk, for the submittal!
- The Healthy Living Festival is this Sunday at Jorgensen Farms. It is an event to celebrate living a well-balanced lifestyle with tasty local fare, free fitness sessions, farm tours, local artists and brands. Darla Kaikis has a few extra tickets for the early session (10am to 1:30pm) for sale if you would like to go; tickets with the fee are $23 each. Some people are walking with the New Albany Walking Club that morning and leaving directly for the event. Please email Darla if you are interested.
Route of the Week
This week’s route can be found here.
Motivation of the Week
I hope to catch you all this Saturday. Until then, whatever you do, finish strong!